Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Nagu Saabsan
  • Nala Soo Xiriir
Radio Muqdisho
  • Bogga Hore
  • Wararka
  • English News
  • Barnaamijyada
  • Shaqooyinka
  • Nala Soo Xiriir
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
Radio Muqdisho
Home English News

South Africa parliament blaze contained; National Assembly ‘completely destroyed’

Mulki Abdirahim Hassan by Mulki Abdirahim Hassan
5 years ago
in English News
0
South Africa parliament blaze contained; National Assembly ‘completely destroyed’
0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare on TelegramShare on LinkedIn

Authorities said on Tuesday they had finally contained a suspected arson fire at South Africa’s parliament building after a second-day flare-up that completely destroyed the lower house National Assembly chamber.

A 49-year-old man accused of setting the fire appeared in court to face five charges including arson and possession of an explosive device. A lawyer for suspect Zandile Christmas Mafe said he denied the accusations and would plead not guilty.

Related posts

Dowladda Soomaaliya oo ka guddoontay nuqullada waraaqaha aqoonsiga afar Safiir oo cusub

Somalia Receives Copies of Credentials from Four New Ambassadors

August 18, 2026
Xukuumadda Soomaaliya oo waraaqadaha dal ku galka kala noqotay Danjirihii la ceyriyay

Federal Republic of Somalia Condemns the Desecration of Al-Aqsa Mosque

July 29, 2026

The National Assembly in the New Wing of the parliament complex was “completely destroyed from bottom right through to the top,” Cape Town City Chief Fire Officer Ian Schnetler told journalists. “It is going to take a lot of rehabilitation to get that back to where it was.”

In a statement, city officials said the fire had been brought under control at midnight.

“Teams are now working their way through the maze-like building, room-for-room, as they attempt to locate and extinguish” hot spots, the statement said.

“This is a lengthy process, as some rooms are needing to have their interior wooden cladding pulled apart, in order to identify any concealed hot spots.”

The fire initially broke out on Sunday. By Monday, authorities had withdrawn some fire trucks and said they were putting out embers, only for the flames to flare up again causing more extensive damage to the New Wing.

The fire also caused the partial collapse of the roof of the Old Wing, which dates back to 1884 and houses the upper chamber, the National Council of Provinces.

Magistrate Zamekile Mbalo ordered suspect Mafe, a resident of Cape Town’s largest township Khayelitsha, held in custody for seven days until Jan. 11 for a bail hearing. Prosecutors said they would oppose bail.

Eric Ntabazalila, spokesperson for the Western Cape Province’s National Prosecuting Authority, declined to say what kind of explosive device was found with Mafe. Authorities have not disclosed any possible motive for setting the blaze.

“My client denies and rejects these charges and therefore he is pleading not guilty and he will continue to plead not guilty,” Mafe’s lawyer Luvuyo Godla told journalists on the steps of Cape Town Magistrate’s court.

Officials have said important sections of the complex were saved, including a museum with art works and heritage objects, and an embroidered tapestry telling the story of the Eastern Cape on the ground floor of the Old Assembly Building.

Source Reuters.

Previous Post

Shirka golaha wadatashiga Qaran oo maalintii labaad ka socda Muqdisho

Next Post

Minister of Labor and Social Affairs meets with WFP representatives in Mogadishu

Next Post
Minister of Labor and Social Affairs meets with WFP representatives in Mogadishu

Minister of Labor and Social Affairs meets with WFP representatives in Mogadishu

Wasiirka Gaashaandhigga oo xafiiskiisa ku qaabilay Safiirka Boqortooyada Ingiriiska ee Soomaaliya

Wasiirka Gaashaandhigga oo xafiiskiisa ku qaabilay Safiirka Boqortooyada Ingiriiska ee Soomaaliya

August 23, 2026
0

RADIO MUQDISHO:-Wasiirka Gaashaandhigga XFS Mudane Axmed Macallin Fiqi, ayaa maanta xafiiskiisa ku qaabilay Safiirka Boqortooyada Ingiriiska u fadhiya Soomaaliya, Danjire...

Tababarka Hindisaha Istaraatiijiga ah ee Wariyayaasha Nabadda oo ka socda Muqdisho

Tababarka Hindisaha Istaraatiijiga ah ee Wariyayaasha Nabadda oo ka socda Muqdisho

August 23, 2026
0

RADIO MUQDISHO:-Xoghayaha Guud ee Isbahaysiga Dalalka Islaamka ee Ciidamada La-dagaallanka Argagixisada (IMCTC), Sarreeye Gaas Maxamed bin Saciid Al-Moghidi, iyo Agaasimaha...

Ciidamada Deegaanka oo Deegaanka Tawakal ku dilay Horjooge sare oo ka tirsanaa Al-Shabaab

Ciidamada Deegaanka oo Deegaanka Tawakal ku dilay Horjooge sare oo ka tirsanaa Al-Shabaab

August 23, 2026
0

RADIO MUQDISHO:-Laba ka tirsan ciidamada Macawisleyda deegaanka Wargaadhi, ayaa21-ka Agoosto 2026 deegaanka Tawakal oo qiyaastii shan kiiloomitir u jira Cali...

Tababar heer sare ah oo la xiriira baarista dambiyada oo lagu qabtay Muqdisho

Tababar heer sare ah oo la xiriira baarista dambiyada oo lagu qabtay Muqdisho

August 22, 2026
0

Tababar heer sare ah oo ku saabsan baarista dambiyada iyo goobaha ay ka dhacaan ayaa loo soo xiray saraakiil iyo...

LIVE STREAM

KUBIIR ASXAABTEENNA

DHAGAYSO WARKA

Warka Subaxnimo

Warka Duhurnimo

Warka Fiidnimo

Facebook Twitter Telegram Instagram Youtube

TAARIIKHDA RAADIYAHA

Radio Muqdisho waxaa la aas aasay 1951 sagaal sano ka hor xorriyadda dalka, laga soo bilaabo 1960 ilaa maanta waa Raadiyaha kaliya ee Dalku leeyahay, wuxuuna leeyahay keyd weyn oo ay ku jirto taariikhda wadanka.

LASOO DEG APP-KEENA

Categories

  • Bogga Hore
  • Wararka
  • English News
  • Barnaamijyada
  • Shaqooyinka
  • Nala Soo Xiriir

© 2022 Radio Muqdisho

No Result
View All Result
  • Bogga Hore
  • Wararka
  • English News
  • Barnaamijyada
  • Shaqooyinka
  • Nala Soo Xiriir

© 2022 Radio Muqdisho

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In